Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Journal pages about art



One of my "in my mind" goals for the future is to add more art to my life, to find ways to fit art time into my schedule and also to maybe find a way to make it at least part of my life if not my livelihood. This, in my mind, gets into the craft vs. art argument that a lot of people put forth, so when I say art, I don't mean to imply that I am an "artist" in the way that most professionals would mean it. I don't presume that much, but mean perhaps an artful way of crafting, using painting, collage and assemblage methods to be creative in making items that can be used in a decorative manner but also to express a mood or idea. I call that art myself, but know that for some, that would not be "real art", but craft. I do plan on doing some more painting and drawing, as well.

I have a visualization altered book started that I want to express these dreams and goals in and will be sharing that as I go along. Right now I've done the outside, which I've already posted about and gessoed and glued some pages together. In the midst of working on other projects, I've been mulling over how I want to do the expression of my goals on the pages. Like do I want to draw pictures or try to represent them with collage, but what will probably end up happening is that I'll just get in there and start doing something and see what happens.

2 comments:

KeRobinson said...

It looks like art to me! I love your sense of color & composition! Karen.

Jeanie said...

How wonderful! I think there is a difference between art (which is to me the seeing, the design, the color and all) and the craft (which means to me the technique of doing it in a craftsmanship way, using the right materials). And there's a big difference between craft and "crapht" which is... well, you know.

I think it's wonderful you are making time for art each and everyday. I need to do that all the more. Your work is always lovely and very complex, thoughtful. I put it in the art category!

Hit counter