Saturday, August 23, 2008

New journal pages



These were done night before last. Last evening I was breaking beans while I watched a couple of movies. One was Saving Grace and the other the Great Debator(which I've got to finish watching today). Both completely different but good movies. On the journal pages, these were done in one of the composition notebooks. I glued down the images first, except for the star, flower, and butterfly, and then gessoed around them. I have some old art paper that I got at the thrift store. Not really sure what kind it is because there was no label. I had played around one day with alcohol inks on this paper and some rubber stamping, using several oriental stamps because I thought they went with the colors. I pulled these and other scraps out of the batch I keep on or near my art table. After I gessoed and it dried, I added several colors of acrylic paint, mostly shades of green, a dark metallic gold, a little pink and black, just daubing it here and there. I decided to use the gold to make some borders on each page and then the black to tone it down some and add a little more depth. I would go back with a little more white gesso in some places. Also used a charcoal pencil and some art markers to add color around the star and to either side of the temple. The bottom picture is the left hand page and the top, the right hand one. My scanner is small.

No planning and no theme in mind. I was just trying to let my subconscious take control and my conscious mind was fairly well pleased with it after all was said and done. A little dark in color to actually journal on, but these might be a spread that doesn't get written on or it could be one where I write something I don't want to be easily read.

I've got to finish putting up the green beans. Going to put them in bags in the freezer. Also picked 4 more large baskets of tomatoes. Not sure if I'm going to do more salsa or what. Guess I need to be making up my mind about that. Hopefully we are going to see the girls & their hubbies in Tuscaloosa later on today. We need to take down and bring back some furniture, but they are predicting possible rainy, stormy weather so we'll have to see what happens.

6 comments:

Jeanie said...

These are simply stunning, Jill. Just gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the technique. As I head north to play for a few days, I hope to do a little more "real" art (versus my crafty art, though both will probably pop up!) Really, these are quite amazing. I am in awe.

Holly said...

These are really pretty!! I like the color combinations!

I hope yall have a safe trip down! We will see you later!

Love you,
Holly

Beth said...

Your so good in your techniques. I love the colors so much! I Love the pages, they are beautiful. I sent your package out today. I hope you get it tomorrow or wednesday. Hope you had a great week-end.
xoxoxooxoxoxox

Kim's Treasures said...

Beautiful pages! I have no clue how to do these! They look like a lot of work. Hope your bean freezing is going well!
Have a great day!
Kim

Jeanie said...

Jill -- I have given you an award at the Marmelade Gypsy. Stop by!

Holly said...

Hey! POST AGAIN!!!!!

Hit counter