Friday, October 10, 2008
Some of what I've been working on
I've got some more still to take pics or scans of-some Halloween stuff, but here is part of what I made this past week. The last photo shows the idea I came up with for making a pillar candle holder from a saucer or small plate and wooden candleholder. This one was painted off-white to match the plate and then roughed up so that some of the original wood shows through. This has probably been done before but I've not ever seen it. I used gel medium to glue the plate to the holder. It seems to be a pretty sturdy fit. That was my only concern, what to use as the adhesive. Let me know what you think of them. I want to sell some of these at our flea market booth.
Then my other trash to treasure items are in the top 2 photos, shown together. The "ghoulie goul" was a thrift store purchase for 50 cents in an unpainted paper mache state but someone had handdrawn a face on it. I painted over the ugly drawing with white and gave it a skull-like face and an authentic bone accent to it's little raffia tuft. Remember I live on a farm, so I find small animal bones sometimes in the barn. Then used a diluted sepia paint wash to age it a little. That doesn't show up as well in the photo. She is sitting on my other project which is one I've done before. I take a wooden bowl and glue it to yet another wooden candlestick(I snap them up when I see them cheap at the Salvation Army). So far this one I've just left unpainted, but the one I did for Emily I painted black. It had a more rounded bowl and looked pretty classy when done. So for a total of a buck and a little paint you get a unique compote/pedestal good for candles or if you're like me a place to diplay some cool rocks or other gatherings from outside like acorns, hickory nuts, pine cones, etc.
We, or I should say mostly my dh since I work 12 hour days, are dogsitting my dd's dog, Coal. He is wanting to play and I've got to get ready for work.